FreeBSD7/xorg/radeon: cannot change resolution using <Ctrl>-<Alt>-<+/->

Zbigniew Baniewski zb at ispid.com.pl
Sat Jul 12 23:52:38 UTC 2008

After a longer search I've found some clues in thread at:

  http://lists.freedesktop.org/archives/xorg/2008-March/034166.html

#v+
  > 1) What changed in 7.3 that caused this issue?

  The radeon driver got xrandr 1.2 support.  Previous versions of the
  driver assumed one monitor per driver instance while with xrandr you
  may have several monitors.  With xrandr it is much more important to
  get mode information about each monitor since you may have two or more
  monitors connected with vastly different capabilities.  The previous
  version of the driver more or less always assumed a monitor was
  connected and forced whatever mode you specified.  You can still do
  this, but as you see, the configuration has changed a bit.  This page
  should give you a good overview:
  http://www.intellinuxgraphics.org/dualhead.html
#v-

In the effect, the configuration became difficult; f.e. one has to generate
"Modelines" (instead of just write resolutions), there are problems with the
real resolution "seen" by WM (if I force 800x600 - I've got very little and
blurry letters), problems while trying to have virtual screen and so on.

All this caused by assumption, that most users will have at least two
(if not four) monitors connected to one video card.  :/
--
				pozdrawiam / regards

						Zbigniew Baniewski