Dual mice setup in Xorg 7.3 repaired, new problems (Was: Mouse event merging for several mice, how does it work?)

Martin Cracauer cracauer at cons.org
Mon Jan 21 13:57:53 PST 2008

I figured out why the "dual mouse" setup with touchpad and sometimes
plugged in USB mouse doesn't work in xorg-7.3 anymore.

Here is what seems required:

1) you have to manually do to a ServerLayout naming both mice, like
   you had to do in the stone age.

Here's mine:

Section "ServerLayout"
        Identifier     "X.org Configured"
        Screen      0  "Screen0" 0 0

        InputDevice     "pad" "CorePointer"
#        InputDevice     "MSIE" "AlwaysCore" # see below
# The AlwaysCore option no longer exists. Replace it with SendCoreEvents or CorePointer ;)
        InputDevice     "MSIE" "SendCoreEvents"
EndSection

2)

Done that it still doesn't work and the Xorg.0.og file says "doesn't
send core events" on whatever is the second.  Exchanging the devices works.

As the comment above indicates:
# The AlwaysCore option no longer exists. Replace it with SendCoreEvents or CorePointer ;)

Needless to say, there is no warning about the now ignored
"AlwaysCore" in the file.

3)

To tip off the off-ticking, Using ...
#       Option          "SendCoreEvents"        "true"

... in the mouse's InputDevice section doesn't work, although it
should be equivalent to using
        InputDevice     "MSIE" "SendCoreEvents"

in the ServerLayout section.  But you must have it in the serverlayout
section.

OK, so here's the full thing:
Section "ServerLayout"
        Identifier     "X.org Configured"
        Screen      0  "Screen0" 0 0
#       InputDevice    "Mouse0" "CorePointer"

        InputDevice     "pad" "CorePointer"
# The AlwaysCore option no longer exists. Replace it with SendCoreEvents or CorePointer ;)
        InputDevice     "MSIE" "SendCoreEvents"
EndSection

Section "InputDevice"
        Identifier  "pad"
        Driver      "mouse"
#       Driver      "synaptics"
#       Option      "SendCoreEvents"    "true" # useless, ignored
        Option      "Protocol" "auto"
        Option      "Device" "/dev/psm0"
EndSection

Section "InputDevice"
        Identifier      "MSIE"
        Driver          "mouse"
        Option          "Protocol" "auto"
        Option          "Device" "/dev/ums0"
#       Option          "Device" "/dev/sysmouse" # if using moused on it
        Option          "ZAxisMapping" "4 5 6 7"
EndSection

%%

Solved that, now I am stuck with the double quote (shift-single quote)
only working when I use the right shift key.  It doesn't work with the
left shift key, although all other shift combinations seem to work
with the left shift key.  Jessus...

Anybody else seeing this? Thinkpad R40, FreeBSD-6.3-stable.

Martin