x11-drivers/xf86-video-mga: current issues

Kevin Oberman oberman at es.net
Tue Jan 8 13:53:38 PST 2008

> Date: Thu, 13 Dec 2007 11:04:56 -0700 (MST)
> From: Warren Block <wblock at wonkity.com>
> Sender: owner-freebsd-x11 at freebsd.org
>
> On Thu, 13 Dec 2007, Randy Pratt wrote:
>
> > On Wed, 12 Dec 2007 13:17:22 +0000
> > "Florent Thoumie" <flz at FreeBSD.org> wrote:
> >
> >> Can I have confirmation from a couple people that the patch from
> >> ports/117726 actually solves most (if not all) problems with the mga
> >> driver?
> >
> > I've been using the xf86-video-mga-1.4.7,1 from that PR for awhile
> > now and it performs like previous versions.  I can't use the version
> > presently in the tree for reasons discussed on this mailing list:
> >
> >  http://docs.freebsd.org/cgi/mid.cgi?20071103180058.1c1bd333.bsd-unix
> >  http://docs.freebsd.org/cgi/mid.cgi?20071103114415.7d910c32.bsd-unix
> >
> > I did try to fuss with the xf86-video-mga-1.9.100 using xrandr and such
> > and did manage to get a resolution my eyes could live with but mplayer
> > would only display a blue screen in its window.  This version certainly
> > didn't work out-of-the-box for me.
> >
> > I'm in favor of the patched version from ports/117726 but there was
> > some discussion of having both versions in the tree since the newer
> > version seemed to have solved some dual-head issues for others.
> > They'll have to speak up regarding those though since I can't readily
> > find the list references.
>
> Last I tried 1.4.7, dualhead did not work at all.  Single monitor setups
> were okay.
>
> Has anyone who had problems with 1.9.100 contacted Tilman Sauerbeck or
> put a bug report on bugs.freedesktop.org?  It would be nice to see this
> problem fixed so we could all be running the same version.
>
> -Warren Block * Rapid City, South Dakota USA

Amen!

Now that I have rolled back(?) to 1.9.100 and my dual screen system is
back to normal.

This should teach me to read mail BEFORE upgrading ports when I have
been off-line for a couple of weeks.

Thanks for your work on this, Warren (and flz).
--
R. Kevin Oberman, Network Engineer
Energy Sciences Network (ESnet)