Problem (subpixel issue?) with ATI M6

James Butler sweetnavelorange at gmail.com
Sat Feb 23 11:52:02 UTC 2008

Greetings

I've just installed 7.0-RC2 on my Thinkpad X31 (ATI Radeon LY RV100
Mobility M6), and added Xorg from packages. When starting X without an
xorg.conf, or with an xorg.conf generated by X -configure, I get a
strange effect on the screen: It's hard to describe, but it looks like
maybe X is drawing the wrong subpixels, as all shapes have strange
coloured fringes, and the the X "weave" background consists of white,
red and blue pixels instead of just white. The total effect is that
the image looks "washed-out" and pixelated; I'm sorry I have no easy
way to capture how this looks!! (Also I just noticed that some xft
fonts are coming out ~50% bigger with the "ati" driver than with
"vesa".... don't know if this is relevant).

I have tried all three documented "SubPixelOrder" settings in
xorg.conf without effect, and I also tried disabling DRI (for no good
reason); currently I am using the "vesa" driver which works perfectly
(if slowly). If I have missed anything obvious please let me know.

Please find the xorg.conf.new and Xorg.0.log generated by X
-configure, along with my dmesg, here:
http://homepages.ihug.co.nz/~sweetnavelorange/

If anyone has any ideas, then thanks in advance.

-James Butler