New SiS Graphics Driver For Xorg: Can anybody port it to FreeBSD?

masterone at o0l0o.org masterone at o0l0o.org
Sat Feb 9 14:46:38 PST 2008

I am actually trying FreeBSD on a mainboard with embedded SiS Mirage*1
graphics, which is pretty much crap, but nevertheless I want to get it to
work.

The SiS graphics driver inluded in actual Xorg is an old version from
Winischhofer from the year 2005, which produces vertical distortions,
making it unusable with higher resolutions.

There is a newly patched SiS graphics driver for Linux, which seems to be
based on the latest Winischhofer premium driver
(http://cs.haifa.ac.il/~skiselev/), which he released before he stopped
working on it. Please have a look here:

http://www.linuxconsulting.ro/xorg-drivers/

It features 2D hardware acceleration and XV/XVMC support.

For Linux, a kernel patch it required, to make it recognize the PCI ids
and chipset. I already took a look at that patch, and it should be able to
apply something similar to FreeBSD's /usr/src/sys/pci/agp_sis.c and
/usr/src/sys/dev/drm/drm_pciids.h (the third file in the Linux patch is
pci_ids.h, but I could not find something similar in the FreeBSD kernel
sources).

I am not a programmer, so I am pretty much stuck with that info. Surely it
shouldn't be that hard, to port that driver to FreeBSD, but I am just not
the person capable to do so.

Can somebody with some more knowledge please have a look?

P.S. Recently Intel made the Linux SiS graphics driver available again as
well (after they had removed that driver package last autumn), but that
one seems to be not the latest version:

http://downloadcenter.intel.com/Detail_Desc.aspx?agr=N&Inst=Yes&ProductID=2773&DwnldID=15443&strOSs=39&OSFullName=Linux*&lang=eng