"Xorg -config xorg.conf.new" fails. Radeon 7200 not supported?

Adam K Kirchhoff adamk at voicenet.com
Sun Dec 28 08:25:54 PST 2008

On Sunday 28 December 2008 10:22:45 Neil L. Jackson wrote:
> I did a first time install of FreeBSD (7.1 RC2) on a machine with an ATI
> All-in-Wonder Radeon card (Radeon 7200 AGP (QD)) and an IBM P76 monitor.
>
> Ran "Xorg -configure" and then "Xorg -config /root/xorg.conf.new". The
> monitor appeared to go immediately into standby mode (it clicked/boinged
> and the orange standby led came on). There is no log or error message from
> Xorg as I had to hit the reset button to get out. (Ctrl-Alt-Backspace
> failed to get me out as did ^C and a shutdown command.)
>
> Attached is a log produced by "Xorg -logverbose -probeonly -config
> /root/xorg.conf.new".
>
> What is my best course to resolve this? Is there more detailed information
> about steps to take when X configuration isn't working? Could it be that
> this particular card simply isn't supported? Should I try FreeBSD 7.0 or
> 6.4 instead, or will I likely have the same issue?

Well, first, there is no log attached :-)

Second, that video card should definitely work, and I doubt that changing
versions of FreeBSD will make much difference.  Is the machine still alive
after this happens?  Have you tried to login remotely?  Does the xorg.conf.new
file show that Xorg is using the 'radeon' driver?  If so, can you try
disabling DRI in the config file and see if that works?

Adam

believed to be clean.