Upgrade questions

Kevin Oberman oberman at es.net
Sat Apr 26 14:40:49 UTC 2008

> Date: Sat, 26 Apr 2008 00:48:15 -0700
> From: "Ronald F. Guilmette" <rfg at tristatelogic.com>
> Sender: owner-freebsd-x11 at freebsd.org
>

> Hello,
>
> I'm trying, at long last, to upgrade my ports (including Xorg) on my
> clunk old 6.2-RELEASE system.  I know that I probably should have done
> this long long ago, but I have two things working against me:  I'm lazy
> and I'm ignorant.  In particular, although I have been using FreeBSD
> for years, I've never really messed with ports, except for occasionally
> building and adding one, every now and again, when I found that I
> needed something that wasn't already present on my system.  So port
> upgrading is kind of a mystery to me.  I've been reading about how
> to perform proper port upgrading, just now, and trying to educate myself
> about the process, but I confess that I'm still quite ignorant.  So
> please take pity on me and answer juat a few of my basic questions.
>
> First, a short while after I started up "make index" in the /usr/ports
> directory, I received these messages:
>
> Generating INDEX-6 - please wait../usr/local/bin/python2.5: not found
> "Makefile", line 43: warning: "/usr/local/bin/python2.5 -c "import sys; print sys.version[:3]"" returned non-zero status

Not sure,although that port was just updated.

In any case, it's MUCH easier to use 'portsdb -F' to download the latest
Index-6 file.

> OK, next question... The 20070519 note in the /usr/ports/UPGRADING file
> says "If your machine does NOT have any gstreamer ports installed..."
> OK, so excuse my ignorance, but how the bleep am I supposed to know if
> I have any gstreamer ports installed?  I don't even know what a gstreamer
> port is!

Good Question. 'pkg_info gstreamer-\*' would be a good start. There are
LOTS of gstreamer ports, so this could generate a lot of output.

> The 20070519 note in /usr/ports/UPGRADING then goes on to say:
>
> 	... you can then just run:
>
> 	# portupgrade -a
>
> but that upgrades _all_ my ports, doesn't it??  What do I do if I'm not
> prepared for that?  What do I do if I want to take this process a step
> at a time, and first just upgrade _only_ the Xorg stuff and any other
> ports that are dependant upon that stuff?  How can I do _just_ that?

No, 'portupgrade -af' upgrades all of your ports. 'portupgrade -a'
updates all of your ports that are out of date...which is the normal
default use of portupgrade, at least for me.

> Lastly, the 20070519 note in /usr/ports/UPGRADING also says:
>
> 	Make sure you have the x11/xorg meta-port installed.  If you do not
> 	have this meta-port installed with X.Org 6.9, you will miss out on
> 	a lot of the new X.Org 7.2 sub-ports.

xorg was broken up into a whole raft of small ports for different libs
and clients in place of the old libraries, servers, and clients. The
xorg metaport is a single port that simply depends on all of the ports
that make up the complete xorg distribution. By installing that, you can
be sure that you have a full xorg installation.

> How exactly do I "Make sure you have the x11/xorg meta-port installed"?

'pkg_info xorg-\*'. Look for just 'xorg-VERSION' as there are several ports
that are prefixed with 'xorg'. If you don't see it, after upgrading
installed ports, 'portupgrade -N xorg' to install it.

> What are the exact commands necessary to do this and when, during this
> whole relatively convoluted upgrade process (and relative to all of the
> other commands shown in the 20070519 note), am I supposed to execute the
> (mystery) command(s) in question?  I mean do I need to this this _before_
> a try to upgrade from Xorg 6.9 to 7.2?  Or just after?
>
> I'm very paranoid about this whole Xorg 6.9->7.2 upgrade process and I'm
> really afraid that... bacause I'm so ignorant... I'm going to break things
> really badly and in the end find myself stuck with an unusable system.
> So I'd really appreciate it if someone could just answer my questions above
> so that I can make sure that I'm approaching this whole upgrade task properly.
> Thanks.
>

> Regards,
> rfg
>

> P.S.  OH!  One other thing... I just now updated my ports tree... the first
> and _only_ time I've ever done that in my life... using "portsnap fetch"
> and "portsnap extract" and then I wanted to see what things I had installed
> that might be worthy of upgrading, so I did:
>
>    pkg_version -v
>
> well, THAT didn't work out well at all.  I got a whole raft of errors from
> that which mostly looked a lot like this one:
>
> xorg-6.9.0                          <   needs updating (port has 7.3_1)
> "Makefile", line 85: Could not find /usr/ports/x11/xorg-clients/../../x11-servers/xorg-server/Makefile.inc
> "Makefile", line 92: Malformed conditional (${X_WINDOW_SYSTEM:L} != xorg)
> "Makefile", line 96: if-less endif
> make: fatal errors encountered -- cannot continue

You need to use pkgdb -Ff to clean up or database. Also, pkg_version is
a fairly dumb tool. Using 'portversion -v' is both faster and more
likely to run cleanly.

Unfortunately, I suspect your database is not too clean, so you may have
a LOT of errors reported. Food luck!
--
R. Kevin Oberman, Network Engineer
Energy Sciences Network (ESnet)