xorg-7.3 fails after ACPI events

Chad Perrin perrin at apotheon.com
Fri Sep 28 11:08:30 PDT 2007

After some ACPI events, x.org-7.3 fails on my system.  In particular, the
screen simply goes black and the laptop ceases to respond to anything
except SSH from a remote system if it is running on battery power, and
and goes black if I try to put the system in sleep mode.  With x.org
versions 6.x neither of these problems existed on this system.

Once I've plugged the system in and restarted, I can only get startx to
work if I've first run Xorg -keeptty as root.

It's using an ATI Mobility Radeon M300, with the generic 2D "ati" driver.
Switching to the 2D "radeon" driver doesn't help any.

Is this a known issue that I haven't been able to track down online, or
am I suffering alone with this one for the moment?  Is there any
troubleshooting advice for this particular problem that anyone can offer
me?

Marvin Minsky: "It's just incredible that a trillion-synapse computer could
actually spend Saturday afternoon watching a football game."