Matrox Millenium G450 won't run dual screens in 7.3

Kevin Oberman oberman at es.net
Wed Sep 26 12:51:00 PDT 2007

Since updating my old desktop with an MGA450 card and two display heads,
I no longer have working Xinerama. I see the same things on both
displays. It was working fine in 7.2.

I have tried both with and without mga_hal installed and see no
difference.

Additionally, when I start up Gnome, things often seem to hang with the
window manager running, but no gnome-terminals or panels on the screen
and the background not loaded.

I don't know that these are related, but I suspect they might be.

The only error in the Xorg.0.log is:
(EE) MGA(0): [drm] DRIScreenInit failed. Disabling DRI.

The log shows the following layout:

(==) ServerLayout "XFree86 Configured"
(**) |-->Screen "Screen0" (0)
(**) |   |-->Monitor "Monitor0"
(**) |   |-->Device "Card0"
(**) |-->Screen "Screen1" (1)
(**) |   |-->Monitor "Monitor1"
(**) |   |-->Device "Card1"
(**) |-->Input Device "Mouse0"
(**) |-->Input Device "Keyboard0"
(**) Option "Xinerama"
(==) Automatically adding devices
(==) Automatically enabling devices
(**) Xinerama: enabled

But the remainder of the log never shows anything about MGA(1); only
MGA(0). No errors or anything else to indicate what might be failing to
work.

Any suggestion of any way to get this running would be greatly
appreciated. If anyone has a G450 (or G550) working with 7.3, I'd also
like to hear about this.
--
R. Kevin Oberman, Network Engineer
Energy Sciences Network (ESnet)