Radeon DRI Problems after latest X.org 7.3 update

Coleman Kane cokane at cokane.org
Tue Sep 18 09:31:40 PDT 2007

Adam K Kirchhoff wrote:
> On Tue, 2007-09-18 at 12:02 -0400, Coleman Kane wrote:
>
>> Adam K Kirchhoff wrote:
>>
>>> I've seen two issues with 7.3.0, though neither are what you described:
>>>
>>> 1) http://lists.freebsd.org/pipermail/freebsd-x11/2007-September/005205.html (which I also saw with xorg 7.2)
>>>
>>> 2) http://lists.freebsd.org/pipermail/freebsd-x11/2007-September/005213.html
>>>
>>> I'm wondering your just experiencing different symptoms for problem number 1.
>>>

>> Adam,
>>
>> I saw this, and thought that it might be related. It's really difficult
>> to tell. In 7.2 (w/ ati driver 6.6.3) I was able to use compiz and
>> almost all GLX stuff properly, direct or accelerated indirect mode.
>> After I portupgraded to x.org 7.3 (server 1.4), all of my problems came
>> up. I did build/install x11/xorg-server v1.4 before
>> x11-drivers/xf86-video-ati v6.7.192 (you can't do it any other way). I
>> did try downgrading back to xf86-video-ati v6.6.3 to see if the old
>> version would still work under the new server, and then my X session
>> just dies any time DRI is accessed (old driver not compatible w/ new
>> server?).
>>
>> I also played with it some more and have found that EXA is completely
>> unusable for me. Under the new server/driver combination, if I am using
>> EXA (and no AIGLX composting manager) then I get the problem where when
>> a window is undrawn (moved, minimized, resized, or I switch workspaces),
>> it leaves a shadow behind it that is slightly lighter than the
>> surrounding area. I can drag a window around the screen to "paint" this
>> effect around my desktop. This is all happening with metacity (which I
>> "downgraded" to after compiz became completely unusable).
>>
>> I've got a Radeon Mobility M10 aka Radeon 9550, using the rv350 chip.
>>
>> I played with the GLX effects further and discovered that I can't
>> produce the full-screen-flicker effect on a screen-shot...
>>

> I'm not sure I can help you here.  I have not tried EXA since updating
> to Xorg 7.3.  My previous experiences with EXA gave me the impression
> that it was too slow to normal use.

Same here.
> AIGLX works fine here after rebuilding the mesa drivers.  compiz runs
> flawlessly, in fact.  I did have an issue with my AGP x700 card locking
> up when running compiz, but commenting out various options in the driver
> section got it working again.  I haven't determined which option is
> causing the lockups.  I didn't have any such lockups with my PCIe x850.
> They are the only two cards I've tried 7.3 with (well, other than my
> x1300's with the avivo and now the radeonhd drivers, but I won't bug the
> list with those problems).

So you've rebuilt and reinstalled graphics/dri, graphics/libGL,
graphics/libGLU, graphics/libglut ? Regarding the radeonhd drivers, what
sort of experience are you finding with those? Does that driver only
support r500+ ?
> I can try EXA to see if I get the same problems, but I won't be able to
> restart X for a while, unfortunately.

Don't worry, I too gave up on EXA long ago because of performance and
stability issues. I am really interested in getting it working with XAA.
The server just crashes when DRI is accessed using EXA mode.

--
Coleman Kane