7.2->7.3 xorg hangs (ati/radeon, AGPFastWrite)

Jim Pingle lists at pingle.org
Mon Sep 17 08:15:49 PDT 2007

> The 7.2->7.3 update was not as painless as expected...

I've had a similar bad experience... The ATI and Radeon drivers (from the
xf86-video-ati-6.7.192 port) are unusable on my rv350 (Radeon 9600 Pro).
They produce very bad ghosting effects on various colors that bleed all over
the place. If I switch to the VESA driver, it shows up clear, but with
reduced resolution and performance.

As you did, I also tried with Xorg -configure and created a new file, with
no extra modules/options configured. Even with no window manager at the
lowest resolution, the video was still corrupted with horrible ghosting.

I also tried updated my world/kernel, and even ran "portupgrade -f -R xorg"
but the effect is still the same.

I saw this PR: http://www.freebsd.org/cgi/query-pr.cgi?pr=116412 but it
isn't quite the same as what I am seeing.

It worked very well prior to the upgrade. I know that RV350 support is
labeled "experimental", but it had been working fine for me with x.org 7.1
and 7.2.

One would hope with AMD's recent documentation release and what will
hopefully follow, the support for these cards will improve...

> (Also, KDE uses way too big fonts for everything since the upgrade --
> but this is totally unrelated.)

I also noticed this -- but only with the ATI or Radeon drivers. Using the
VESA driver, all of the fonts look normal.

For the moment, I'm stuck with the VESA drivers, but I'm still fiddling
around trying to see what other options I may have missed. If anyone is
interested, I can take a picture of the screen to show an example of the
image ghosting/streaking.

Jim
P.S. Please cc me on replies. I'm not currently subscribed to the
FreeBSD-X11 list.