xextensions and xextproto install the same files

Andriy Gapon avg at icyb.net.ua
Mon Sep 17 05:17:09 PDT 2007

on 14/09/2007 18:03 (Kyiv time)  Andriy Gapon said the following:
> $ pkg_which /usr/local/include/X11/extensions/shmstr.h
> xextensions-1.0.1_3 xextproto-7.0.2
> What gives ?
>
> I've just had a compilation failure for xorg-server because of this.
> Apparently the two ports/packages above install different versions of
> some header file and xorg-server build expected one from
> xextproto-7.0.2, but xextensions-1.0.1_3 was installed.
>
> So,
> $ portupgrade -f xextproto-7.0.2
> did help, but I wonder why this happened at all.

Well, this didn't help to the full extent, I got past the error but then
got another one:
Making all in Xext
/bin/sh ../libtool --tag=CC ...  -c xvmc.c  -fPIC -DPIC -o .libs/xvmc.o
xvmc.c: In function `ProcXvMCGetDRInfo':
xvmc.c:574: error: syntax error before "rep"
xvmc.c:583: error: syntax error before '*' token
xvmc.c:584: error: `xvmcGetDRInfoReq' undeclared (first use in this
function)

Apparently this also because of the conflicting header files:
$ pkg_which /usr/local/include/X11/extensions/XvMCproto.h
videoproto-2.2.2 xextensions-1.0.1_3

Doing forceful portupgrade of videoproto now.

> BTW,
> $ pkg_info -r -R xextensions-1.0.1_3
> Information for xextensions-1.0.1_3:
>
> Depends on:
> Dependency: xproto-7.0.10
> Required by:
> compositeext-2.0_2
> fixesext-2.0.1_2
>
> What are these ? Do I need/want them at all ?
>
> Thanks in advance.

Any could explain/help, please ?

--
Andriy Gapon