xorg-7.3 and swapped CTRL_L and Caps_Lock

Kevin Oberman oberman at es.net
Sat Sep 15 16:43:35 PDT 2007

I run with the Caps Lock and Left Control keys swapped. I also run Gnome
which has a systems preference to set this. It worked fine until I
updated to xorg-7.3 and now, when the session starts, they are not
swapped and xemacs complains about improper keyboard configuration.

If I bring up the setup for the keyboard, it claims that the swap is
selected and, after exiting the setup window, they almost are. The only
remaining problem is that I have to press the ALT before I press CTRL to
have the combination accepted. If I press them together, the system only
sees the CTRL. (Note: I probably tend to hit CTRL slightly before ALT
when pressing them together.)

I suppose it's an interaction between xorg and xklavier, but it was fine
prior to the upgrade to xorg.
--
R. Kevin Oberman, Network Engineer
Energy Sciences Network (ESnet)