new emerald in ports (0.5.2) + beryl = problem?

Adam K Kirchhoff adamk at voicenet.com
Thu Sep 13 15:18:05 PDT 2007

On Thu, 2007-09-13 at 17:28 -0400, Yousif Hassan wrote:
> Hey all:
>
> I took the "chance" of upgrading emerald to 0.5.2 - I'm pretty sure this
> new port revision is in there to eventually support compiz-fusion, which
> is also at 0.5.2 since emerald is now part of that.  However, there's
> still a dependency on emerald from the beryl port - and the beryl port
> hasn't moved!
>
> To wit, if you're using Beryl, as I am, there seems to be a problem.
> The new 0.5.2 Emerald decorator doesn't work.  I know what the problem
> is, but I can't seem to solve it:
>
> beryl: decoration: property ignored because version is 20070319 and
> decoration plugin version is 20061011
>
> 20070319 certainly makes sense since this is a new version of emerald,
> but even after updating x11-themes/emerald-themes, I can't get the
> decorations to load.
>
> Is there another module that should be made a dependency that I need to
> update/install?  Or is the problem beryl (in which case, it may or may
> not get fixed there...?)
>
> I'm sure this will be sorted out eventually, I just wanted to get the
> ball rolling in case this problem has not been discovered yet.

Unfortunately there is no fix.  The version of emerald for c-f will not
work with beryl.  Emerald should be removed as a dependency of the beryl
port, and users will just have to stick with aquamarine and heliodor
(assuming they're even available...  I'm not in FreeBSD at the moment to
confirm this).

Adam