Creating ports for X11 fonts

Romain Tartière romain at blogreen.org
Sun Sep 2 07:45:15 PDT 2007

Hi

I'm preparing ports to bring additional fonts in FreeBSD.  According to
the porter's handbook [1], "If your port installs fonts for the X Window
System, put them in X11BASE/lib/X11/fonts/local.", but when looking at
the Makefile of some ports in x11-fonts, they install font files in
X11BASE/lib/X11/fonts/${FONTNAME}/ with FONTNAME set to ${PORTNAME}...

This makes me think that the statement in the porter's handbook is
mainly intended for applications that have to install fonts to work
properly.  Has-it to be read like so, or do I drop the font files in
X11BASE/lib/X11/fonts/local?

Another question not covered by the porter's handbook concerns
licensing.
The fonts I am willing to create ports for are licensed under the Open
Font License (OFL).  The Gentium font is licensed under this license too
and a copy of the licence can be found in the font directory as
X11BASE/lib/X11/fonts/gentium/OFL. Other fonts are side by side with
their licence file (I mean fontname.xxx & fontname.license in the same
directory).
Is there a "recommended" method for copying the license file?

Best regards,
Romain