New nvidia driver will not install on 6-Stable system

Florent Thoumie flz at xbsd.org
Wed Oct 31 12:24:24 PDT 2007

Kevin Oberman wrote:
> When I try to update to the latest x11/nvidia-driver, it won't install
> due to an error when making the safety copy of libwfb.so.
>
> ===>  Checking if x11/nvidia-driver already installed
> mv: rename /usr/local/lib/xorg/modules/libwfb.so to /usr/local/lib/xorg/modules/XXX-libwfb.so.%%.xorg-server-1.4_1,1: No such file or directory
> *** Error code 1
>
> Any fix for this?
>
> If this driver brings the ABI up to 2.0 I will just force it. I always
> forget to enter the -- -ignoreABI the first time I log in in the morning

It does bring the API up to 2.0. The error isn't too important, so
forcing it will be ok as long as you keep using the nvidia-driver as it
provides its own libnvidia-wfb.so. For some reason, libwfb.so isn't
installed on your system. It's provided by xorg-server.

You're not the first person to report it, but I can't reproduce it here.

--
Florent Thoumie
flz at FreeBSD.org