mga dualhead was Re: ports/116851

Warren Block wblock at wonkity.com
Thu Oct 25 10:44:00 PDT 2007

On Wed, 24 Oct 2007, Kevin Oberman wrote:

> Can anyone provide a clue as to how to get both monitors configured?
> Studying the xorg.conf man page has not made anything obvious to me.

I've experimented a bit more with my configuration.  As I mentioned
earlier, you can assign monitors to outputs in the Device section.
What I found was that specifying HorizSync or VertRefresh in the Monitor
section caused problems.  What works:

Section "Monitor"
         Identifier   "Monitor0"
         VendorName   "PNR"
         ModelName    "Planar PE190"
         Option       "Position" "1024 0"
EndSection

Section "Monitor"
         Identifier   "Monitor1"
         VendorName   "Philips"
         ModelName    "Philips 150B3"
         Option       "Position" "0 0"
EndSection

Section "Device"
         Identifier  "Card0"
         Driver      "mga"
         VendorName  "Matrox Graphics, Inc."
         BoardName   "MGA G400/G450"
         BusID       "PCI:1:0:0"
         Option      "HWcursor"                  "off"
         Option      "AGPMode"                   "4"
         Option      "Monitor-VGA1"              "Monitor0"
         Option      "Monitor-VGA2"              "Monitor1"
EndSection

This runs both monitors at their DDC-detected resolution.  In my case,
that's 1280x1024 for Monitor0 and 1024x768 for Monitor1.  If I tried to
explicitly set a Mode for Monitor1, it went to 640x480.

'Option "Position" is not used' is still in the log, although it also
shows the positions set for both monitors.