ports/116851: x11-drivers/xf86-video-mga - Xorg 7.3 mga driver fails to read video BIOS (G450 dual-VGA)

Kevin Oberman oberman at es.net
Wed Oct 24 12:36:37 PDT 2007

> Date: Tue, 23 Oct 2007 17:17:31 -0600 (MDT)
> From: Warren Block <wblock at wonkity.com>
>
> On Tue, 23 Oct 2007, Kevin Oberman wrote:
> >
> > I installed your patch and I no longer get errors in the Xorg.0.log
> > file, but I still have problems.
> >
> > I now have two displays, but the right display only runs at 1024x768
> > with the left runs at 1280x1024.
>
> What should it be?

I have found the problem, but not the solution. I just looked at the
logs more carefully and found the following (which I think should have
been tagged as WW):
(II) MGA(0): Output VGA1 using monitor section Monitor0
(**) MGA(0): Option "Position" "1024 0"
(II) MGA(0): Output VGA2 has no monitor section

And the configuration has no reference to "Monitor1". I tried adding
"Monitor1" to the Screen section, but that failed and left both monitors
at 640x480 (ouch).

Can anyone provide a clue as to how to get both monitors configured?
Studying the xorg.conf man page has not made anything obvious to me.

> The Position option in each monitor is supposed to define which part of
> the big virtual bitmap that monitor displays.  But it depends on the
> size of the virtual bitmap and the resolution of the monitors.
>
> You can also change things live by running xrandr interactively:
>
> xrandr --output VGA2 --left-of VGA1
>
> or something like that.  I haven't experimented with it much.

Works perfectly. I can swap screens, but the one on VGA2 remains at
1024x768. xranr --prop only lists:
VGA2 connected 1024x768+0+0 0mm x 0mm
   1024x768       60.0*
   800x600        60.3
   640x480        59.9
since it is not associated with any screen.

> There's also a PreferredMode option for the Monitor section which might
> help:
>
> Option "PreferredMode"  "1280x1024"

I've tried this, but it says that the mode is not found.

> > If I try swapping the "Position" lines between monitor 0 and 1, I go
> > back to the old mirror effect, with the right screen still at 1024x768.
>
> > I get the following messages on my vty:
> > WB: Reading 128K from /dev/mem address 0xc0000
>
> Okay, that's good.
>
> > info: [drm] Initialized card for AGP DMA
> > drm0: [ITHREAD]
> > [config/hal] couldn't initialise context: (null) ((null))
> > SESSION_MANAGER=local/pak.es.net:/tmp/.ICE-unix/98465
>
> That's odd, and new to me.  However, I use xdm and Xfce, so maybe it has
> to do with something else.  Maybe a securelevel or hal configuration
> difference?  No config/hal or SESSION_MANAGER in my log.
>
> > The only warning in the log is:
> > (WW) OS did not count PCI devices, guessing wildly
> > (WW) MGA(0): Option "Position" is not used
> > I don't like the look of the latter error.
>
> No, I see both of those messages in mine, too.  (I only noticed the
> "not used" warning today.  Maybe it's talking about the 0 0 as
> default?)

Nope. It saying that because is has no config for VGA2.

> > Any ideas? I did edit the "Monitor" sections and tried both with
> > explicit sync rates and commenting them out and using DCC. Made no
> > difference. I must admit that I am baffled.
>
> You can make monitor entries in the Device section to set default
> positions.  Sorry, haven't really tried that, either (well, I tried it a
> couple of weeks ago on my T42 notebook with a Radeon--did not go well,
> locked up, but needs to be tried again).

Thanks again. I'm getting closer. I think I just need a small adjustment
to my xorg.conf.
--
R. Kevin Oberman, Network Engineer
Energy Sciences Network (ESnet)