ports/116851: x11-drivers/xf86-video-mga - Xorg 7.3 mga driver fails to read video BIOS (G450 dual-VGA)

Kevin Oberman oberman at es.net
Tue Oct 23 11:30:35 PDT 2007

> Date: Sun, 21 Oct 2007 14:00:03 GMT
> From: Warren Block <wblock at wonkity.com>
>
>  When the FreeBSD port of xorg-server starts using libpciaccess, the
>  problem reading the video BIOS ROM should be fixed.  Until then, I have
>  an easier patch and instructions for xorg-server 1.4.1:
>
>  http://www.wonkity.com/~wblock/mgapatch/xorg-patch.txt
>
>  -Warren Block * Rapid City, South Dakota USA

Warren,

I installed your patch and I no longer get errors in the Xorg.0.log
file, but I still have problems.

I now have two displays, but the right display only runs at 1024x768
with the left runs at 1280x1024.

If I try swapping the "Position" lines between monitor 0 and 1, I go
back to the old mirror effect, with the right screen still at 1024x768.

I get the following messages on my vty:
WB: Reading 128K from /dev/mem address 0xc0000
info: [drm] Initialized card for AGP DMA
drm0: [ITHREAD]
[config/hal] couldn't initialise context: (null) ((null))
SESSION_MANAGER=local/pak.es.net:/tmp/.ICE-unix/98465

The only warning in the log is:
(WW) OS did not count PCI devices, guessing wildly
(WW) MGA(0): Option "Position" is not used
I don't like the look of the latter error.

Any ideas? I did edit the "Monitor" sections and tried both with
explicit sync rates and commenting them out and using DCC. Made no
difference. I must admit that I am baffled.

Also, is xinerama no longer usable with the 7.3 and the G450? Or so you
just prefer randr? (I can see that randr has advantages.)
--
R. Kevin Oberman, Network Engineer
Energy Sciences Network (ESnet)