RFC: intel driver to replace i810 as default

Tom Evans tevans.uk at googlemail.com
Tue Nov 20 02:51:50 PST 2007

On Mon, 2007-11-19 at 17:23 +0000, Florent Thoumie wrote:
> It seems that everybody's eventually switching to intel so I was
> thinking of making xorg-drivers depends on intel rather than i810.
>
> Are there any cases where i810 works and intel doesn't?

Not here. The only caveat I have with the intel driver is that the
static dual head configuration I used with xorg 7.2 and i810 driver
1.6.5 would not work with xorg 7.3 and intel driver 2.1.1 . Intel's
support page [1] suggests it should work, but I couldn't make it.

I don't mind though, the intel driver together with xorg 7.3 has
outstanding xrandr support, which works perfectly, and finally means I
can just unplug my 2nd screen, totter down the hallway with my laptop,
plug it into the projector and bring it back up, at the right
resolution!

If only DRI worked on virtual workspaces with dimensions > 2048, it
would be perfect :)

Tom

[1] http://www.intellinuxgraphics.org/dualhead.html

(I think, rereading that page, that static dual head should work, its
just very different to previous static dual head configurations. I also
see that the workspace limitation is a hardware limitation of my
chipset. Oh well :/ )