7.3 ignores

Warren Block wblock at wonkity.com
Sat Nov 17 08:39:48 PST 2007

On Sat, 17 Nov 2007, Ihsan Dogan wrote:

> I've upgrade to X.org 7.3 on my 7.0-BETA2 system. My problem is, that
> the card does only 1152x768 when I start X. I can change to my desired
> resolution 1280x1024 with xrandr, but I don't think that this is the
> right way.
>
> I've put a Matrox G550 and a ATI Radeon 9250 into my system and both
> card showed exactly the same behavior.
>
> I've read that other people are expiriencing exactly the same problem
> and I'm wondering, if there is already a solution for that.

Oddly enough, that's the one thing that worked just right here with xorg
7.3.  My 1280x1024 monitor comes up in that mode.

> My xorg.conf:
> http://ihsan.dogan.ch/files/Xorg-7.3/xorg.conf

That's an old-style xorg.conf, but both the mga and radeon drivers are
xrandr-1.2.  Some of the changes needing to be made are described here:

http://wiki.debian.org/XStrikeForce/HowToRandR12

Note particularly the suggestions on removing HorizSync, VertRefresh,
and ModeLines from the Monitor section.

For a single monitor, I'd set the virtual screen size to the same size
as the monitor:

Section "Screen"
         Identifier "Screen0"
         Device     "Card0"
         Monitor    "Monitor0"
         SubSection "Display"
                 Virtual    1280 1024
         EndSubSection
EndSection

One thing that may have helped me is that I went through the logs and
removed everything unnecessary or duplicated from my xorg.conf:

http://www.wonkity.com/%7ewblock/mgapatch/xorg.conf

A single monitor setup would not have that Option "Position" "1024 0"
entry in the Monitor section.