7.0 preview slides

Coleman Kane cokane at FreeBSD.org
Fri Nov 2 22:46:25 PDT 2007

Alexey Dokuchaev wrote:
> On Fri, Nov 02, 2007 at 07:45:29PM -0400, Coleman Kane wrote:
>
>> Thierry Thomas wrote:
>>
>>> Le Mer 31 oct 07 ??  0:30:30 +0100, Kris Kennaway <kris at FreeBSD.org>
>>>  ??crivait :

>>> It seems that many users are bitten by different x.org 7.3 issues.
>>>
>>> I guess that at this point it's too late to revert to 7.2, but it would
>>> be fine to gather tips and work-arounds to write them in the erratas: it
>>> would be a catastrophe if people cannot run X (or with a degraded config)
>>> when installing FreeBSD-7.
>>>

>> Egad! Anything but switching back to X.org 7.2! I have much better
>> support on my new system under 7.3 than I did 7.2 with my ATI rv350.
>> Following the x11 list, it seems that these issues are being resolved.
>> The initial switch to 7.3 brought in a broken ati driver for me, but
>> working with the x11 list and the fd.org guys (as well as others with
>> similar trouble), we managed to get the newer patches released in a new
>> driver version and an updated port.
>>

> No doubt, methinks no one is going to rollback to 7.2.  The point is
> that 7.3 is so buggy that either immediate remedy patches or (sadly)
> corresponding ERRATA notes are desperately needed.  X on any FreeBSD
> release must be on a decent level if we see ourselves anywhere near
> consumer level.
>
> ./danfe

Are we tracking the "bugginess" of X.org 7.3 anywhere (other than on the
mailing list)? I think perhaps the ModularXorg wiki at:
http://wiki.freebsd.org/ModularXorg could be revived to track "hot
spots". It is very unlikely that there is a general and widespread
bugginess in all X.org 7.3 modules. It seems more likely that this could
be narrowed down to some specific "hot-spots", or a minority of modules
that need to get some of their bugs fixed. From my interpretation of
many the complaints on the list, much of this sounds like a number of
the video drivers, specifically many people are still using the -i810
driver and the -intel driver may not be completely polished yet, there
seems to be some problems with the mga driver as well as the nv driver.
The -ati driver was buggy at the first release, but many of those seem
to be cleaned up now. I think we need much finer grained analysis of the
root causes of the problems, rather than "X.org 7.3 is kinda borked!".

I'm copying x11@ because this is really starting to pertain to them too.

--
Coleman Kane