X fails after upgrade to xorg-7.2; FreeBSD AMD64 w/ Radeon 9600 Pro

Byron Campbell wa4geg at surfbest.net
Sat Jun 30 21:43:17 UTC 2007

On Wednesday 20 June 2007 12:07:49 am Andy Fawcett wrote:

> One thing that *might* make a difference could be the drm
> stuff. I have it built into my kernel, you might be
> (auto)loading it as modules.
>
> Relevant lines from my kernel config:
>
> device  radeondrm
> device  drm
>
> Could be worth trying, if you don't already have it.

Thanks for the tip. I'm just now getting back to this issue
after installing 6.2 Stable AMD64 on a newly acquired hard
drive. And I have the above drm lines in my kernel, but the
display still goes blank when I startx.

Some small headway: The problem with the display (which is now
a SyncMaster 940t connected to the Radeon 9600 Pro DVI out)
being driven out of range (I assume) and going blank was
solved by setting the option NoAccel in the device section of
my xorg.conf file. I've also tired both the  "ati"
and "radeon" drivers, and both give identical results.

With acceleration disabled image tearing is bad, jumpy really,
that is when one is dragging an X-term around on the desktop
(xfce4.) But at least I've got a workable display now.

I've been trying several and varied radeon driver "option"
settings / combinations to see if I can get a viewable
display with acceleration, but no luck yet.  Maybe someone
using the Radeon 9600 Pro [RV350 AP] video card with a
similar TFT flatpanel will chime in with their experiences
and / or workable settings.

Byron - WA4GEG

-