Fishing for some glues to find the problem

Fri Jun 22 16:40:00 UTC 2007

Quoting Pav Lucistnik <pav at FreeBSD.org> (Wed, 20 Jun 2007 10:36:47 +0200):

> Alexander Leidinger píše v st 20. 06. 2007 v 07:58 +0200:
> > Hi,
> >
> > at x11@: please CC me.
> >
> > Is someone seeing some strange keyboard behavior recently? I updated
> > to -current after gcc4.2 and xorg 7 and everything was fine. Then I
> > updated this week some ports (all which where stale since last week),
> > and boom, the system doesn't print all the characters I type anymore.
> > Symptom: a-z and numbers work, but the keys for German umlauts produce
> > strange characters I've never typed before. I can not produce @ with
> > the keyboard anymore (no output at all). I also can not switch to a
> > console (ctrl+alt+Fx).
> >
> > I don't remember which ports where stale, but maybe gtk and perhaps
> > some xorg port was updated...
> >
> > I didn't change any config or updated the basesystem (there was no
> > reboot, just a restart of gdm... more correctly, I stopped and started
> > the jail where my desktop is running in, but there was no change to
> > the host at all, and no change in the jail except for an portupgrade),
> > so I think something in the xorg-gnome chain is eating my keypresses
> > and spitting out some garbage. Anyone with an idea what this is or how
> > to find out what the problem is?
>
> All the people who upgraded to X.org 7.2 here complains about keyboard
> bugs, when you define multiple keyboard layouts in the server. Say, if
> you do
>
>         Option      "XkbLayout" "us,cz"
>
> you no longer can switch to a console (Ctrl+Alt+F#), and Alt+Tab breaks
> in Xfce4 (but works in GNOME; combination of left Alt with anything,
> really).
>
> Someone reported that downgrading xkeyboard-config to 0.8 (never been in
> ports) fixes this. I haven't done any digging into this yet myself.

It is working now. I've rebuild xorg-server. While installing it
(forcing pkg register on top of the same existing version), it bailed
out because of a symlink /usr/local/share/X11/xkb/compiled
-> /var/lib/SOMETHING. I don't exactly remember what SOMETHING was,
but /var/lib doesn't exist. I removed the link and forcefully installed
again and everything was ok (and there's no symlink now after
installing it). While building it I also noticed that there's a strange
problem when I use portupgrade-devel. When I try to use portupgrade to
build it, the port bails out in the scanpci build with an error message
of not finding some symbol (it's not the low-memory issue because of
gcc4.2, this is with the -O change recently committed to the port).
When I clean the port again and rebuild it by hand instead of letting
portupgrade do it, it works without a problem.

I haven't investigated the portupgrade or symlink issue and don't plan
to do it ATM, but I can test changes to the port or portupgrade-devel.

Bye,
Alexander.

--
Isn't this my STOP?!