Fishing for some glues to find the problem

Pav Lucistnik pav at FreeBSD.org
Wed Jun 20 08:36:49 UTC 2007

Alexander Leidinger píše v st 20. 06. 2007 v 07:58 +0200:
> Hi,
>
> at x11@: please CC me.
>
> Is someone seeing some strange keyboard behavior recently? I updated
> to -current after gcc4.2 and xorg 7 and everything was fine. Then I
> updated this week some ports (all which where stale since last week),
> and boom, the system doesn't print all the characters I type anymore.
> Symptom: a-z and numbers work, but the keys for German umlauts produce
> strange characters I've never typed before. I can not produce @ with
> the keyboard anymore (no output at all). I also can not switch to a
> console (ctrl+alt+Fx).
>
> I don't remember which ports where stale, but maybe gtk and perhaps
> some xorg port was updated...
>
> I didn't change any config or updated the basesystem (there was no
> reboot, just a restart of gdm... more correctly, I stopped and started
> the jail where my desktop is running in, but there was no change to
> the host at all, and no change in the jail except for an portupgrade),
> so I think something in the xorg-gnome chain is eating my keypresses
> and spitting out some garbage. Anyone with an idea what this is or how
> to find out what the problem is?

All the people who upgraded to X.org 7.2 here complains about keyboard
bugs, when you define multiple keyboard layouts in the server. Say, if
you do

        Option      "XkbLayout" "us,cz"

you no longer can switch to a console (Ctrl+Alt+F#), and Alt+Tab breaks
in Xfce4 (but works in GNOME; combination of left Alt with anything,
really).

Someone reported that downgrading xkeyboard-config to 0.8 (never been in
ports) fixes this. I haven't done any digging into this yet myself.

--
Pav Lucistnik <pav at oook.cz>
              <pav at FreeBSD.org>

It's now using GIFs instead of JPEGs. This is similar to replacing
triangular wheels with round ones.