Fishing for some glues to find the problem

Wed Jun 20 06:00:05 UTC 2007

Hi,

at x11@: please CC me.

Is someone seeing some strange keyboard behavior recently? I updated
to -current after gcc4.2 and xorg 7 and everything was fine. Then I
updated this week some ports (all which where stale since last week),
and boom, the system doesn't print all the characters I type anymore.
Symptom: a-z and numbers work, but the keys for German umlauts produce
strange characters I've never typed before. I can not produce @ with
the keyboard anymore (no output at all). I also can not switch to a
console (ctrl+alt+Fx).

I don't remember which ports where stale, but maybe gtk and perhaps
some xorg port was updated...

I didn't change any config or updated the basesystem (there was no
reboot, just a restart of gdm... more correctly, I stopped and started
the jail where my desktop is running in, but there was no change to
the host at all, and no change in the jail except for an portupgrade),
so I think something in the xorg-gnome chain is eating my keypresses
and spitting out some garbage. Anyone with an idea what this is or how
to find out what the problem is?

Bye,
Alexander.

--
Once I finally figured out all of life's
answers, they changed the questions.