X fails after upgrade to xorg-7.2; FreeBSD AMD64 w/ Radeon 9600 Pro

Mark Kirkwood markir at paradise.net.nz
Mon Jun 18 23:53:09 UTC 2007

Byron Campbell wrote:
> On Sunday 17 June 2007 10:23:19 pm Mark Kirkwood wrote:
>> AFAICS the symbol is defined in:
>>
>> /usr/local/lib/xorg/modules/drivers/ati_drv.so
>>
>> e.g:
>>
>> $ nm ati_drv.so|grep ATIMemoryTypeNames_88800CX
>> 0000b5c0 D ATIMemoryTypeNames_88800CX
>>
>> What does it show on your system (I'm wondering if your ati
>> drivers have not been upgraded properly).
>
> Ah, good point. The output here is:
>
> 0000000000e940 D ATIMemoryTypeNames_88800CX

Well - seems to be defined there.... hmmm. not sure why you are getting
'undefined symbol' in atimisc_drv.so in that case. I am wondering if the
problem is tied up with amd64 specifically - hopefully someone else will
have some ideas :-).

In the meantime you could hack your xorg.conf to use 'vesa' driver and
see if you can actually startup X - try adding modeline settings in
there for your monitor if you still get 'out of range' (tho I must say
I've *never* needed to put them in with Xorg...).

Also worth trying might be borrowing a DVI cable (assuming your monitor
has a DVI input) and seeing if X works with it connected instead of the
VGA one.

Cheers

Mark