Avoiding upgrade to xorg 7.2

Dave Grochowski malus.x at gmail.com
Fri Jun 15 23:15:17 UTC 2007

Bram Moolenaar wrote:
> Florent Thoumie wrote:
>

>>> Well, if you type "cvsweb" in the main FreeBSD search box, it doesn't
>>> find anything.  Is the search broken?  I knew about the cvsup docs, but
>>> it didn't help me.
>>>
>>> Anyway, none of the pages you mention contain the PRE_XORG tag that we
>>> were talking about.  It does mention:
>>>
>>>     In particular, use only tag=. for the ports-* collections.
>>>
>>> So I'm still lost.
>>>
>> Check out http://cvsweb.freebsd.org/ports/. At the bottom of the page
>> you have a listbox next to "Show only files with tag:". PRE_XORG_7
>> appears there.
>>

> Ah, finally the missing information!  Previously someone mentioned
> PRE_XORG7, because of the typo I could not find any info on this.
>
> It's weird that cvsweb.freebsd.org exists, whil searching for "cvsweb"
> in the Search box on www.freebsd.org comes up with nothing.  Searching
> for PRE_XORG_7 also comes up with nothing.  It looks like the search
> function is completely broken.  That put me on the wrong track.
>
> Because of my background I probably should not say it, but have you
> considered using Google search for freebsd.org?
>
> Now that I now the tag name I can also search for it on
> http://www.google.com/bsd  You can add "site:freebsd.org" and you have a
> perfect replacement for the www.freebsd.org Search box!
>

> So now I was finally able to update nspluginwrapper.  In case you are
> interested, this is what I did:
> - cvsup ports-all with the PRE_XORG_7 tag
> - cvsup ports-www with the "." tag to get the updated
>   www/nspluginwrapper
> - Try running "portupgrade nspluginwrapper".  This fails because for
>   unclear reasons it checks for /usr/X11R6/libdata/xorg/libraries and
>   starts installing X11.  Cancel this.
> - "mkdir /usr/X11R6/libdata/xorg/libraries"
> - "portupgrade nspluginwrapper"  works!

Why did want to update it so badly? There hasn't been any changes in
functionality since the original version of the port was committed. The
update to 0.9.91.4 didn't add anything specific to FreeBSD and every
port revision after that just modified the dependencies. Basically, you
wasted your time.

I should know; I'm the port maintainer.

Sincerely,
Dave Grochowski