Avoiding upgrade to xorg 7.2

Mark Kirkwood markir at paradise.net.nz
Fri Jun 15 22:33:23 UTC 2007

Bram Moolenaar wrote:
> Mark Kirkwood wrote:
>
>> Can you not kick off an reinstall everything last think on a Friday and
>> have it ready for you on Monday? (you'll need to set BATCH=yes so you
>> don't get asked to confirm config options). I usually do this myself
>> whenever I upgrade (usually every 3 months or so).
>
> I'm working 7 days a week...

Ouch... hopefully you don't intend to do this long term...

>> In most cases you can keep working while the upgrade is happening (e.g I
>> switch to enlightenment while Gnome is rebuilding etc). However in the
>> case of this Xorg 7.2 upgrade and change from X11BASE to LOCALBASE I
>> couldn't really do this, but I think this is not typical (I used a mac
>> powerbook whilst my Freebsd box was rebuilding... glad to be back in
>> Freebsd now!).
>
> I think upgrading X11 is best done while X11 is not running.  There is
> also the risc that something fails and it takes N hours to make it work
> again.
>
> Ideally I would have two computers, one to keep working on and one to
> upgrade.  And then switch between the two.  But I have only one.

Yeah - I actually didn't do the Xorg upgrade till I was happy it worked
- tested on a server box I had running CURRENT + Xorg. As your comment
implies, it is probably essential to have the infrastructure to do
something like this, otherwise the risk of doing the upgrade only to
find it broken is too high.

Cheers

Mark