Avoiding upgrade to xorg 7.2

Mark Linimon linimon at lonesome.com
Thu Jun 14 13:07:32 UTC 2007

On Thu, Jun 14, 2007 at 11:42:45AM +0200, Bram Moolenaar wrote:
> The only policy that appears to work for me is to wait for a new FreeBSD
> release, install it and then update the ports I use.

There are probably a lot of users for whom this is the right answer.

> Generally, after a month or so the dependencies get so complicated
> that when updating a small port triggers rebuilding nearly everything.

This is the consequence of the dependencies amongst 17286 objects.
gettext alone has 5681 dependent ports; perl, 7759; python, 1366.
I'm not even sure, after some reasearch, what the "deepest" dependency
chain is in the tree; I suspect it's more than ten.

The real-world authors are continually updating all of these things.
Sooner or later, for security reasons if nothing else, we need to take
those updates.

mcl