X11 6.9 -> 7.2 Fixed font missing

Mark Kirkwood markir at paradise.net.nz
Thu Jun 14 05:11:07 UTC 2007

Mark Kirkwood wrote:
> Kris Kennaway wrote:
>> Per many emails on this topic, we need someone to follow the UPDATING
>> directions and submit their build log when they encounter this
>> particular failure mode.  Can't fix it otherwise.
>>

> I'm currently upgrading by 6-STABLE box - with a script log this time
> :-). I'll report in a day or so (hopefully... this is one case were more
> than 1.26 Ghz would be nice).
>
> One observation that comes to mind - is that I'm pretty sure I missed
> the need to rebuild the ports index via 'make index' before doing the
> previous upgrade on my 7-CURRENT box... anyway will report whether I see
> the font issue...

I have just completed this now (took longer than I expected - this is a
workstation machine with Gnome, Firefox and Thunderbird etc etc all of
which needed updating too).

The Xorg part of this process went very smoothly.... (I had quite a few
issues with stuff unrelated to X - gstreamer vs gstreamer80, gimp and
cdrtools-devel, the last of which I have to sort out).

There was an uneasy moment when X refused to start with no xorg.conf,
but using one generated by 'X -configure' worked fine with HW accel and
drm enabled (card is a Radeon 9550). Well done guys! So I would suspect
that my missing the 'cd /usr/ports && make index' in the previous
(7-CURRENT) upgrade is related to the font problem.

The desktop seems a little slower, however there are other factors
besides X that have changed (Gnome 2.18 vs 2.16 for instance).

regards

Mark