can't login with xdm after upgrade

Mikhail Teterin mi at bonkers.video-collage.com
Thu Jun 14 03:27:35 UTC 2007

Hello!

After the ugprade to xorg-7.2 I can no longer login using xdm.

The three X-servers listed in Xservers start up, and the login
dialog is present on each of the virtual consoles.

If I type a wrong password, I get a message to that effect.

But if I login correctly, then the X-server is reset... Not even
the "failsafe" option (pressing F1 instead of Enter after entering
password) works -- just the reset...

What happened? This was working -- as intended -- before... Logging
in through getty and using startx continues to work, but is not as
nice.

All of the xdm config files are as installed, except for the Xservers,
which reads:

:8 local /usr/bin/env LANG=uk_UA.KOI8-U /opt/bin/X v :8 -logverbose
:3 local /usr/bin/env LANG=uk_UA.KOI8-U /opt/bin/X v :3 -logverbose
:1 local /usr/bin/env LANG=uk_UA.KOI8-U /opt/bin/X v :1 -logverbose

The hint of a problem is:

Jun 13 22:52:05 aldan xdm: pam_sm_close_session(): no utmp record for :1

but I do not think, this is it... Please, advise. Thanks!

	-mi