Invalid MIT-MAGIC-COOKIE after 7.2 upgrade

Eric W. Bates ericx at vineyard.net
Wed Jun 13 15:24:45 UTC 2007

Seems xauth is not being invoked to create an authentication cookie when
I use startx.

I'm still digging and comparing with the 6.9 version of xorg; but can
anyone shorten this for me?

Does xauth create the cookies?

Do fresh ones normally get created every time you start a session?

Can cookies hang around indefinitely? i.e. can I just add some to my
.Xauthority file and forget about this?

Does startx do the xauth invocation, or xinit or some other tool in the
chain?

Thanks for your time.