X11 6.9 -> 7.2 Fixed font missing

Derek Tattersall dlt at mebtel.net
Sat Jun 9 19:23:13 UTC 2007

I did the upgrade on an AMD64 6.2 STABLE box from 6.9 to 7.2.  Following
Kris's directions, the upgrade went smoothly.  However, after I used
Xorg -configure to create a new xorg.conf, when I attempted to test it,
it reported that the fixed font could not be found.  After reading the
X11 list, it seems that others have had this problem.  I reran fc-cache,
and it does not cache any of the fixed fonts.  I had to run by hand
mkfontdirs in each of the directories in /usr/local/lib/X11/fonts.

In comparing this installation to one on a current box that was recently
installed from the May snapshot, Most everything looks the same, the few
differences in package lists are due to apsfilter and friends being
installed on the current box.  The xorg.0.log shows no EE entries, just
the fixed font missing message.  What am I missing here, and what is the
recovery path?

--
Best regards,
Derek Tattersall