Problem with Beryl and xorg 7.2 - RELENG_6

Adam K Kirchhoff adamk at voicenet.com
Fri Jun 8 11:16:45 UTC 2007

On Friday 08 June 2007 06:55:23 Josef Karthauser wrote:
> On Thu, Jun 07, 2007 at 07:16:12PM -0400, Adam K Kirchhoff wrote:
> > You should be able to get beryl to run with the --use-copy option, but
> > it will be very slow.
> >
> > Currently, the texture_from_pixmap render path (the default for beryl),
> > won't work with the radeon driver as AIGLX is broken on those drivers.
> > Getting it working on intel (also with AIGLX) seems to be hit-or-miss as
> > well.
>
> Ah, thanks - exactly the kind of information I was hoping for.  Any word
> on when the radeon drivers will be fixed?  How will I be able to find
> out when this has been done; gotta get me some beryl fix.

Just for clarification, AIGLX is broken on the radeon drivers on freebsd.  It
does work fine on linux at the moment.  Last time I asked around on this list
about the status of AIGLX, I had the very distinct sense that there is no one
actively working on this problem.

Just so you know, I took another look at your Xorg log file this morning and
see that you have another problem as well:

(II) RADEON(0): [drm] drmSetBusid failed (8, pci:0000:01:00.0), Permission
denied
(EE) RADEON(0): [dri] DRIScreenInit failed.  Disabling DRI.

This error shows up in Google a bit, but I'm not seeing one simple solution.
Do you have a DRI section in your xorg.conf file?  In mine, I have:

Section "DRI"
        Mode 0666
EndSection

That will give everyone access to direct rendering.

Did you build the DRM modules from outside of the FreeBSD source tree (ie.
from the DRM git tree)?  Some people mention getting the Permission denied
error (on linux) when the DRM modules were compiled with a different version
of gcc than the kernel).

Adam