cvs commit: ports/x11/libX11 Makefile distinfo manpages pkg-plist ports/x11/libX11/files patch-src_ImUtil.c

Dejan Lesjak dejan.lesjak at ijs.si
Fri Jun 8 01:08:38 UTC 2007

[moving to freebsd-x11@]

On Thursday 07 June 2007 11:16:05 Kris Kennaway wrote:
> On Thu, Jun 07, 2007 at 10:22:29AM +0200, Alexander Leidinger wrote:
> > Quoting Mark Linimon <linimon at lonesome.com> (from Wed, 6 Jun 2007
> >
> > 20:55:38 -0500):
> >
> > Who decides what is going in and what not? What changes are allowed to
> > go in and which aren't (read: what's the definition of "important"
> > here)?
>
> "Fixes an application crash" or "Fixes a security vulnerability" would
> be good reasons.  "Fixes some manpage typos" or "Adds a new cursor
> theme" or "Adds some linux-specific cruft" would not be :-)  I don't
> want to have to be the guardian of this myself so I hope the x11@
> mailing list will self-regulate with a bit of guidance.
>
> Basically everyone needs to be aware that commits to x.org core ports
> (those in the dependency path of xorg-libraries, basically) need to
> come with a clear justification of why the update is required, so if
> you are prepared to defend yourself with solid arguments on that point
> then you probably have a reason to proceed.

Picking more or less random message...
I don't think this is such a big deal actually. This is mostly about
xorg-libraries dependencies (the core x.org ports) and they will probably not
get new versions released that often (eg. last libX11 release was 30 Nov
2006) by X.org themselves. And then there are releases that might as well be
skipped alltogether (libXcomposite 0.3.2 comes to mind); we already have
http://wiki.freebsd.org/PortsNotUpgraded to annotate those.
There will probably be more frequent updates of ports right now, though, as we
find some regressions and other stuff missed in testing as more people with
various environments get to install the thing.
As for this specific upgrade, it was indeed of the "Fixes an application
crash" and "Fixes a security vulnerability" type and as said happened a bit
more than 6 months after last release.

Dejan