Cleaning up the /usr/X11R6 symlink on package builds

Dejan Lesjak dejan.lesjak at ijs.si
Mon Jun 4 17:12:38 UTC 2007

On Sunday 03 June 2007 19:38:30 Joe Marcus Clarke wrote:
> x11/xorg-libraries appears to be broken in Tinderbox and probably on
> pointyhat due to the leftover /usr/X11R6 symlink:
>
> http://www.marcuscom.com/tb/logs/6.2-FreeBSD/xorg-libraries-7.2_1.log
>
> Either it needs to cleanup the symlink that it creates on deinstall, or
> check to see if PACKAGE_BUILDING is not defined before creating the
> symlink.

When user first installs X.org on clean FreeBSD we shouldn't just error out,
pointing user to UPDATING, thus the automatic creation of symlink. From above
options... I don't think it would be nice to remove the symlink upon, for
example, upgrading xorg-libraries port (and possibly break some application
that would want to do something with /usr/X11R6 in the time symlink is gone).
And if it is created, it needs to be created both via port and via package,
so using PACKAGE_BUILDING doesn't help, unless I misunderstood what you
meant.
The only alternative I can think of is to not create the link automatically,
but print out a message requiring user to create it. Either allowing the
build to proceed or forcing it and erroring out like before, but with
additional "If this is your first install of X.org libraries,
create /usr/X11R6 -> /usr/local symlink." to the existing pointer to
UPDATING. This would be IMHO a bit less nice to users, but more friendly to
pointyhat and tinderbox.
Any other options?

Dejan