xorg 7.2 & environment variables set in login.conf

Neil Hoggarth neil at hoggarth.me.uk
Mon Jun 4 13:51:54 UTC 2007

On Sun, 3 Jun 2007, Dmitry Marakasov wrote:

> I have a problem after update to 7.2: the environment variables set in
> login.conf (for example, LANG for russian class) are no longer
> propagated to X apps I launch after I log in to X (now I have to
> explicitely export those in ~/.xsession). Why's this behavior changed
> and how to make environment set up automatically like before?
>
> FreeBSD 6.1-RELEASE-p12, latest ports, X is launched via xdm (enabled
> in /etc/ttys).

There was an xdm patch that was previously applied to the xorg-clients
package, which hasn't been included in the new seperate xdm package for
xorg-7.2. I opened a PR about this last week (ports/112932), and that PR
includes a version of the patch, if you want to try adding it to your
own ports tree:

   http://www.freebsd.org/cgi/query-pr.cgi?pr=112932&getpatch=1

(save the patch in the directory "/usr/ports/x11/xdm/files", rebuild and
install the xdm port, restart xdm or reboot).

Regards,

Neil.