xorg 7.2 & environment variables set in login.conf

youshi10 at u.washington.edu youshi10 at u.washington.edu
Sun Jun 3 16:37:49 UTC 2007

On Sun, 3 Jun 2007, Stefan Esser wrote:

> On 2007-06-03 07:38 -0700, Neil Short <neshort at yahoo.com> wrote:
>> How do you export those variables successfully in
>> ~/.xsession? It still doesn't help with me.
>>
>> check this out:
>>
>>  $ locale
>> LANG=en_US
>
> This is not a valid locale! You have a choice between:
>
> 	en_US.ISO8859-1
> 	en_US.ISO8859-15
> 	en_US.US-ASCII
> 	en_US.UTF-8
>
> [...]
>> $ echo $LC_ALL
>> en_US
>> $ perl
>> perl: warning: Setting locale failed.
>> perl: warning: Please check that your locale settings:
>>         LC_ALL = (unset),
>>         LANG = "en_US"
>>     are supported and installed on your system.
>> perl: warning: Falling back to the standard locale ("C").
>
> Yes, and perl tells you, that en_US just isn't specific enough
> for its needs ...
>
> It's up to you whether you prefer en_US.US-ASCII, en_US.ISO8859-1,
> or en_US.UTF-8 (e.g. depending on whether you at least occasionally
> work with foreign language texts).
>
> Regards, STefan

Stefan's absolutely right. What I would do is use en_US.UTF-8, because it's unicode, but depending on your platform and how much memory you have, representing characters in 2 bytes (unicode) vs 1 byte (ASCII/ISO charsets), might not be such a hip idea (thinking embedded, low memory machines)...

-Garrett