xorg 7.2 & environment variables set in login.conf

Stefan Esser se at FreeBSD.org
Sun Jun 3 16:30:51 UTC 2007

On 2007-06-03 07:38 -0700, Neil Short <neshort at yahoo.com> wrote:
> How do you export those variables successfully in
> ~/.xsession? It still doesn't help with me.
>
> check this out:
>
>  $ locale
> LANG=en_US

This is not a valid locale! You have a choice between:

	en_US.ISO8859-1
	en_US.ISO8859-15
	en_US.US-ASCII
	en_US.UTF-8

[...]
> $ echo $LC_ALL
> en_US
> $ perl
> perl: warning: Setting locale failed.
>         LC_ALL = (unset),
>         LANG = "en_US"
>     are supported and installed on your system.

Yes, and perl tells you, that en_US just isn't specific enough
for its needs ...

It's up to you whether you prefer en_US.US-ASCII, en_US.ISO8859-1,
or en_US.UTF-8 (e.g. depending on whether you at least occasionally
work with foreign language texts).

Regards, STefan