Window size & xterm-227

David Wolfskill david at catwhisker.org
Sat Jul 21 17:07:16 UTC 2007

On Sat, Jul 21, 2007 at 06:45:14PM +0200, Rene Ladan wrote:
> When I open an 80x25 terminal with xterm227 and use less406 to view a file
> with lines longer than 80 characters, the lines first wrap.  After resizing
> the window, the file shows up properly after I scroll in it.

OK, so something's certainly not right.

> If I re-open the file in less after quitting less, the file shows up correctly
> upon opening it.

But the window is still one that has been re-sized since its creation,
yes?

> So maybe it is a vi problem?

The first system on which I noticed this was hub -- I had opened an
xterm on my laptop, fired up ssh to hub, and was editing a file there
(to deal with moderated messages).

The second system where I noticed it was on www.baylisa.org, which runs
Solaris 9.  Similar to the situation with hub, I had fired up an xterm
on my latop, ssh over to the BayLISA machine, and was editing a file on
it.

In each case, if I re-size thw window subsequent to its creation,
thinigs are OK -- but only 80x24 windows are OK otherwise.

I think it's specific to xterm.  :-}

Peace,
david
David H. Wolfskill				david at catwhisker.org
Anything and everything is a (potential) cat toy.