Quad-Screen Xinerama/Twinview weirdness

Shaun Meyer meyersh at morningside.edu
Fri Jul 20 20:42:45 UTC 2007

Hi, all!

I have been attempting to build a quad-display desktop using xorg,
nvidia-driver-9331, nvidia-settings, and xfce4 out of ports on my fresh
6.2-release box.
On the hardware side is one dual head nvidia agp card, and one (dual head)
nvidia PCI (Geforce 4 Ti 4200 + FX 5200)

My first impulse is to bypass twinview altogether and run them all on
"Seperate X screens" in nvidia-settings with Xinerama.

Upon X-restart the result is spectacular: Four introductory Nvidia logos,
windows maximize like they should, etc, etc. Except performance is
miserable and sluggish.

When I change the configs around for two twinview screens, performance is
great, as it is when I use just one screen except applications now feel
like maximizing across two screens.

How can I make this setup work properly?

Thanks,
Shaun Meyer