xorg-7.2.r3_3 on current/amd64 with ATI Radeon Xpress 1100

Adam K Kirchhoff adamk at voicenet.com
Thu Jan 11 15:28:22 PST 2007

On Fri, 2007-01-12 at 01:42 +0300, Andrew Pantyukhin wrote:
> On 1/12/07, Stanislav Sedov <stas at freebsd.org> wrote:
> > On Fri, 12 Jan 2007 00:41:17 +0300
> > "Andrew Pantyukhin" <infofarmer at FreeBSD.org> mentioned:
> >

> > > The tar contains logs from 6.9 and 7.2 and a conf
> > > file which is similar for both versions.
> > >
> > > Unfortunately drm won't work as there's no drm
> > > support for Xpress 1100 yet. I tried adding the
> > > pciid, but xorg just hangs at start. No skill/
> > > motivation to hack radeon driver at the moment.
> > >
> > > However, the white screen problem stays with
> > > drm/glx/GLcore turned off.
> > >

> > OK, I'll take a look at your logs ASAP. AFAIK, ati drm hangs on FreeBSD
> > currently due to locking problems. You can try a patch attached.

I must have missed this e-mail about the ati drm hanging (unless, of
course, it was originally sent off list), but I just wanted to point out
that this is not completely accurate.  I have direct rendering working
on an AGP x700 with 7.2.0 RC3 and haven't experienced a hang yet.  I
only see three real issues with the ATI support at the moment:

1) Enabling AIGLX will hang the machine (perhaps this is the hang
mentioned above...  If that's the case, I'd love to get my hands on the
patch mentioned as well).

2) PCIe is not 100% supported most likely due to problems with
ati_pcigart.c

3) The linux_dri-devel port is older than I would personally like :-)
That's easily worked around if you can compile the drivers on a linux
box and copy them over.

Adam