X.org (experimental) ports moving to LOCALBASE soon

Scott Robbins scottro at nyc.rr.com
Tue Jan 9 03:30:40 PST 2007

On Tue, Jan 09, 2007 at 11:01:21AM +0000, Florent Thoumie wrote:
> Scott Robbins wrote:
> > On Tue, Jan 09, 2007 at 01:31:55AM +0000, Florent Thoumie wrote:
> >

> Well, I am/was. The idea is that even if you only install the necessary
> things you need, loads of ports depend on xorg-* metaports, so if you
> install other ports, chances are it will bring all xorg-apps for example
> (or all xorg-fonts, but not all the servers and drivers). I can't fix
> all ports to only detect the X apps they need, but I can give to
> experimented users the choice to make their own selection. This is an
> issue I'll try to address soon (like well, this week probably, between
> two Zelda Twilight Princess sessions).

I think we all realize, or at least have an idea, of how much work this
is, so don't feel badly about delays.

> > It might be worthwhile to put a link on the wiki to Dru's guide to
> > upgrading, and maybe <modest cough> even my own.
> >

> I think I already thanked you and everybody who reported failures (and
> success sometimes) but it doesn't hurt to do it again, so thank you.
> Testing takes a long time and I definitely couldn't have done everything
> by myself.

You have been thanking all of us publicly, yes.

> That said, while I like people testing and stuff, I definitely think
> that centralizing documentation is a good thing. IMHO it would have been
> a good thing to give a mention to the wiki page saying that it is the
> reference to upgrade. Should your document (or Dru's) get stale, I still
> can update the wiki page with new information (and mention when it's not
> needed anymore, hopefully RSN).

Both Dru's page and my page link to the wiki towards the very beginning
of our respective articles.  That almost goes without saying.

> Haven't really planned to spend so much time on this but this is
> necessary, so someone had to do it :-)

The old joke, that with computers, calculate how much time you need,
then triple it for an optimistic estimate.

--

Scott Robbins

PGP keyID EB3467D6
( 1B48 077D 66F6 9DB0 FDC2 A409 FA54 EB34 67D6 )

Buffy: Will, wait. I'm really sorry.
 Willow: Buff, I'm storming off. It doesn't really work if you come
 with me.