Xorg crashes on compile?

Csaba Molnar molnarcs at gmail.com
Tue Feb 13 14:33:27 UTC 2007

2007. February 13. 14.54 dátummal ezt írta:
> Well I tried a re-install and instead of having the cd install binary X and
> gnome I tried to install X by use of the ports, it hung up on "
> /usr/ports/graphics/dri" said there was a gmake error? So I am trying again
> with another install...  Do you know where the xorg.conf file is when X is
> installed from the installation cd? because I did not see it in "/etc/X11"
> Either than the ports system appearing to be unstable should I try and
> update the ports tree? because even portsnap is kind of buggy for me as
> well.

What release are you using? Did you modify any of the config files
(/etc/make.conf for instance?). I'm not sure X will generate xorg.conf
automatically or not - been using the same file since FreeBSD 5.1 :) - with
some modifications.

I would go this route if I were you:

Install FreeBSD 6.2 from CD - just the base system (if you are used to waiting
for compile to finish, and as a gentoo user, I assume you are) - base,
kernel, docs, man, and ports (when you got to choose the distributions). Once
you are set to go, you may put these in your /etc/make.conf

CPUTYPE=pentiumpro
CFLAGS= -O2 -pipe -fno-strict-aliasing
COPTFLAGS= -O2 -pipe -fno-strict-aliasing

You can have athlon-xp instead of pentiumpro in CPUTYPE if you have a
sempron - but going higher might break things. Don't worry if you're
accustomed to "optimizing" the hell out of your system: the good port
maintainer folks made sure that these values will be overriden in case of
ports where it matters (for instance, mplayer builds with O3 --ffast-math and
the rest of the stuff).

Then you need to update your ports:
portsnap fetch (takes a long time at first run, than it will be far shorter).
portsnap extract (this is only needed on first run)
portsnap update

note that further on, you'll only need portsnap fetch && portsnap update (read
man portsnap to learn how to make a cron job of portsnap fetch).

Install whatever you need to make your system usable: bash, mc, whatever.
Install port-mgmt/portupgrade (if you don't update your ports tree,
portupgrade will reside in /usr/ports/sysutils instead, but you should update
your ports tree).

portupgrade will install a variety of commands (pkg_deinstall, portinstall,
portupgrade). Read the handbook how to use them (and man portupgreade).

And finally, use them. If you want everything and the kitchen sync with gnome,
you can use the metaport, or you can install parts of gnome separately. They
will bring in all the dependencies you might need.

Create a locate database by running /etc/perdiodic/weekly/310.locate as root.
Locate sample xorg.conf files (since I have modular Xorg 7.2rc installed, I
don't know where they are on 6.9) - but should be there somewhere.
Alternatively, you can use xorcfg or xorgconf (one of them is command line,
the other is graphical - if graphical doesn't work, try the command line
one).

Try to start x as usual (or as you would on gentoo - your old .xinitrc if you
still have it will work).

And most importantly: have fun!

I must say that the problems you describe are highly unusual - when you say
even portsnap has problems, I cannot fathom what it might be. So, don't
exclude the possibility of faulty hardware (or excessive overclocking if you
do that stuff).

And finally: READ READ READ! FreeBSD has the best documentation of any free
operating system. They spent considerable time and resources (payed
professional writers) to provide you with that. So read the handbook (it will
be installed on your system) - preferably offline in one go from top to
bottom, to get an overall grasp of the system (it differs in many ways from
gentoo). Remember, in FreeBSD, almost every config file has its own man page,
and they are very well written compared to gnu manpages. If a config file
doesn't have a manpage, it might have a well commented example file, either
in some defaults directory (like /etc/defaults) or in /usr/share/examples. If
it has neither, it probably doesn't exist :) To find your way around the
system lay out, read man hier. man ports will help you with searching the
ports tree. man portupgrade is mandatory.

You'll have less trouble with ports than with portage, for the grunt of the
work to provide sane defaults for everything is done by the port maintainer -
and as you probably noted, when there are additional options, you'll see an
ncurser-based options screen (these options will be saved, you don't have to
set them at each upgrade).

Note that ports now is currently in flux somewhat, as they recently moved
everything from /usr/X11R6 to /usr/local, the inclusion and switch to the
latest xorg release is pending, and there are quite a few changes here and
there. Still, the instability you reported shouldn't be there - I have 615
ports installed, and only 3 of them is failing on an upgrade currently.

Good luck!

ps. - don't forget to "Reply to All" - so the mailing list gets your message
as well, and others can use these instructions if they need it.