Xorg crashes on compile?

Csaba Molnar molnarcs at gmail.com
Tue Feb 13 05:41:22 UTC 2007

This shouldn't be happening - you can safely build ports while running X. I
know, I just recompiled all my ports (well, 598 of 615 - the rest is still
ongoing) while in KDE. I dared not quit it btw, because I previously managed
to delete approximately 1/3 of my /usr/local/share (rm -fR on the wrong
directory :) - and wasn't sure it would start up till I rebuilt everything :)

Occasionally, I had crashes lately when running beryl - if you have something
running in the background that eats 99% cpu (a mencoder process, or a build
process for instance) - than stressing out beryl is not a good idea, for it
may crash (leaving you with a moving cursor, no input whatsoever, and
occasionally, even the powerbutton won't help, unless you lean on it, which
means fsck at reboot).