x11-drivers/xf86-video-mga: current issues

Randy Pratt bsd-unix at embarqmail.com
Thu Dec 13 06:46:51 PST 2007

On Wed, 12 Dec 2007 13:17:22 +0000
"Florent Thoumie" <flz at FreeBSD.org> wrote:

> Can I have confirmation from a couple people that the patch from
> ports/117726 actually solves most (if not all) problems with the mga
> driver?

I've been using the xf86-video-mga-1.4.7,1 from that PR for awhile
now and it performs like previous versions.  I can't use the version
presently in the tree for reasons discussed on this mailing list:

  http://docs.freebsd.org/cgi/mid.cgi?20071103180058.1c1bd333.bsd-unix
  http://docs.freebsd.org/cgi/mid.cgi?20071103114415.7d910c32.bsd-unix

I did try to fuss with the xf86-video-mga-1.9.100 using xrandr and such
and did manage to get a resolution my eyes could live with but mplayer
would only display a blue screen in its window.  This version certainly
didn't work out-of-the-box for me.

I'm in favor of the patched version from ports/117726 but there was
some discussion of having both versions in the tree since the newer
version seemed to have solved some dual-head issues for others.
They'll have to speak up regarding those though since I can't readily
find the list references.

Thanks for taking a look at this.
Randy