Starting compiz on KDE 3.5 , Xorg 7.2

Robert Noland rnoland at 2hip.net
Thu Aug 30 18:38:26 PDT 2007

On Thu, 2007-08-30 at 18:30 -0400, Yousif Hassan wrote:
> Sereno Ternullo <serenoternullo at virgilio.it> wrote:
>
> > Hi folks,
> > after a painful process I've upgraded my xorg to 7.2.
> > I'm running FreeBSD 6.2
> >
> > My nvidia driver seems to work fine,
> > glxgears run now pretty fast.
> >
> > I've installed x11-wm/compiz.
> >
> > After logging into my KDE session, I type
> >
> > $ compiz --display :0 --replace gconf decoration wobbly fade minimize cube
> > rotate zoom move resize place scale switcher water &
> > $ kde-window-decorator
> >
> > Compiz starts, but it seems I don't jave any kde-window-decorator and my
> > windows remain without borders.
> >
> > Am I missing anything ?
>
> I just tried the latest compiz (0.5.2) and experienced the same issue,
> using KDE 3.5.7.
>
> I researched the issue somewhat, and here is what I think I know:
> Compiz was originally pretty intrinsically tied to GNOME.  Although
> this is no longer the case, most of the Linux distros that use Compiz
> with KDE install an additional package called something like "kde-compiz";
> or something like that.  This adds additional items that make Compiz
> work better with KDE.
>
> AFAIK, this package is *not* part of the default source tar file for compiz.
> It's probably this package that installs kde-window-decorator, and I do
> not think this package is in ports.
>
> Maybe Robert Noland, who is maintaining compiz, can shed some light.

For the moment, the port does not support KDE.  (i.e. I disable it)  The
0.6.0 version which should be released shortly has some new KDE
integration bits, but I don't have a KDE testing environment at the
moment.  Patches are happily accepted, but I can't currently test beyond
tinderboxing it all to make sure it builds cleanly.

> In the meantime, you can try:
> - downloading the source for the additional packages from the compiz
> websites and trying to compile them yourself
>
> - running compiz under GNOME (this worked fine for me with the latest
> compiz and compiz-fusion - thanks to Roland for porting the latest stuff!)
> You can use gtk-window-decorator and the 'gconf' plugin to get up and
> running.
>
> - Try Beryl, which is MUCH more user-friendly, at least IMO... it comes
> with a GUI for configuring plugins (Beryl Settings Manager) and a GUI
> for configuring Beryl itself (Beryl Manager), not to mention its own
> window decorator, so you can run it on many desktop envs.  Again IMO,
> Compiz-Fusion can really use these GUI front-ends from Beryl since
> they're now integrating Beryl's plugins and Emerald back into compiz
> source - it'd be a good idea to raise this point w/ the devs there.

Compiz also has a configuration gui, which I will probably get committed
in the next day or so.  The big caveat is that enabling/disabling
plugins via ccsm is causing compiz to segfault.  I don't yet have a
solution to that problem, so I still recommend configuring or at least
enabling/disabling plugins via gconf editor.

robert.