I sent this to the wrong mailing list on accident about an xauth issue I had

matt donovan kitche at kitchetech.com
Wed Aug 15 01:26:43 UTC 2007

Whenever I did startx I would have an error that said xauth: <magic key> :
not found

well I did soem digging on the old archieves and found an mailing that was
my issue but it said fix so I went into my startx script and had to change
one part to fix the error.

I just had to redo this part

# set up default Xauth info for this machine
case `uname` in
Linux*)
 if [ -z "`hostname --version 2>&1 | grep GNU`" ]; then
  hostname=`hostname -f`
 else
  hostname=`hostname`
 fi
 ;;
*)
 hostname=`hostname`
 ;;
esac

authdisplay=${display:-:0}
mcookie=`dd if=/dev/random bs=16 count=1 2>/dev/null | hexdump -e
\\"%08x\\"`
if x"$mcookie" = x; then
                echo "Couldn't create cookie"
                exit 1
fi

To this

# set up default Xauth info for this machine

 authdisplay=${display:-:0}
 mcookie=`dd if=/dev/urandom bs=16 count=1 2>/dev/null | hexdump -e
\\"%08x\\"`
 for displayname in $authdisplay `hostname`$authdisplay; do
     if ! xauth list "$displayname" | grep "$displayname " >/dev/null
2>&1; then
       xauth add $displayname . $mcookie
       removelist="$displayname $removelist"
     fi
 done

xinit $client $clientargs -- $server $display $serverargs

and it seems to work for me doesn't complain about the magic cookie not
being found anymore