Upgrading X Issue

Tuc at T-B-O-H.NET ml at t-b-o-h.net
Thu Aug 9 19:53:44 UTC 2007

> Sorry to be such a pain...I guess my lack of knowledge on the subject leaves me knowing just enough to be dangerous.
>
> When I build a new server and run Xorg -configure and then run startx, I get three white windows with green frames. I'm not sure if this is what you're calling xterm but that is the file I run when I want to create a new window. When this is running there is no /$HOME/.xinitrc file present...which would load KDE like an older system I used to run.
>
> After I upgraded xorg, it crashed and went back to a text console. So I erased /etc/x11/xorg.conf and /root/xorg.conf.new. I then ran Xorg -configure and then ran startx. I then got a complete white screenon the monitor and could see the mouse moving around but no little white/green windows and I couldn't type anything to launch an application.

	Maybe he's talking about "twm"?

	(From twm(1) )
       This program is usually  started  by  the  user's  session  manager  or
       startup  script.   When  used from xdm(1) or xinit(1) without a session
       manager, twm is frequently executed  in  the  foreground  as  the  last
       client.  When run this way, exiting twm causes the session to be termi-
       nated (i.e., logged out).

	Try creating a ".xinitrc" in your directory with the line "exec twm" and
see if it results in what you want.

				Tuc